What are cookies and why do we use them?
A cookie is a file that is downloaded to the user’s device when accessing certain web pages to store and retrieve information about the navigation that is made from said equipment.
Cookies allow the web, among other things, to store and retrieve information about the decisions and habits of the user. In Tantrausuaya we use them to personalize the experience inside our web, to identify and to remember to the registered user and to facilitate the navigation.
On the Wikipedia page (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookie_(informática)) it is possible to get more information about what with cookies and how they work.
What kind of cookies do we use?
Cookies, depending on their permanence, can be divided into session or permanent cookies. The first ones expire when the user closes the browser. The second ones expire depending on when the purpose for which they serve is met (for example, for the user to remain identified on the web and services of Tantrausuaya) or when they are manually deleted.
In addition, according to their purpose, Cookies can be classified as follows:
Performance Cookies: This type of Cookie remembers your preferences for the tools found in the services, so you do not have to reconfigure the service every time you visit. By way of example, this typology includes:
- Volume settings for video or sound players.
- The video transmission speeds that are compatible with your browser.
Geolocation Cookies: These cookies are used to find out what country you are in when you request a web or service. This cookie is completely anonymous, and is only used to help guide content to your location.
Registration Cookies: Registration Cookies are generated once the User has registered or subsequently opened their session, and are used to identify you on the web and services with the following objectives:
- Keep the user identified so that, if he closes a service or web, the browser or computer and at another time or another day re-enters that service or web, will remain identified, facilitating its navigation without having to re-identify. This functionality can be suppressed if the user clicks the “Exit” functionality, so that this Cookie is deleted and the next time it enters the web the user will have to log in to be identified.
- Check if the user is authorized to access certain services, for example, to participate in a contest.
- In addition, some services may use third party connectors such as Facebook, Twitter or Google. When the user registers in a service with credentials of a social network or third party identification system, it authorizes the same to keep a persistent cookie that remembers its identity and guarantees access to the web until it expires. The user can delete this cookie and revoke the access to the web through social networks or third party identification system updating their preferences in the specific social network.
Analytics Cookies: Each time a User visits a Web or Service, a tool from an external provider (Google Analytics and similar) generates an analytical cookie on the user’s device. This cookie that is only generated in the visit, will serve in next visits to the services of Tantrausuaya to anonymously identify the visitor. The main objectives are:
- Allow anonymous identification of browsing users through the “Cookie” (identifies browsers and devices, not people) and therefore the approximate accounting of the number of visitors and their trend over time.
- Identify anonymously the most visited content and therefore more attractive to users
- Know if the user you are accessing is new or repeat visits.
Important: The cookie will never be associated with any personal data that can identify you. Such cookies will only be used for statistical purposes that help optimize the users’ experience on the site.
Advertising Cookies: This type of cookies allows to expand the information of the displayed ads to each anonymous user in the web of Tantrausuaya. Among others, the duration or frequency of display of advertising positions, the interaction with them, or browsing patterns and / or user behaviors are stored as they help shape an advertising interest profile. In this way, they allow to offer advertising related to the interests of the user.
How to disable cookies on your browser
Most browsers currently allow the user to configure whether or not they want to accept cookies. These settings are usually found in the ‘Options’ or ‘Preferences’ in the menu of your browser.
Here are the instructions for setting up cookies in the main browsers:
- Chrome: Settings -> Show advanced options -> Privacy -> Content settings. For more information, you can check Google support or browser Help.
- Firefox: Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> History -> Custom settings. For more information, you can consult Mozilla support or browser Help.
- Internet Explorer: Tools -> Internet Options -> Privacy -> Configuration. For more information, you can consult Microsoft support or browser Help.
- Safari: Preferences -> Security. For more information, you can check Apple support or browser Help.